As a long-standing tradition of The University of British Columbia’s Psychology undergraduate community, the Psychology Students’ Association of UBC and the Department of Psychology are proud to announce the 24th Annual UBC Psychology Undergraduate Research Conference to be held on 1st and 2nd April at C.K. Choi Building (poster presentation) and Geography building (oral presentation).
- 24th PURC – Day 1 (Friday, April 1st at 4 p.m.) at C.K. Choi Building (poster presentation) and Geography building (keynote and oral presentation)
- 24th PURC – Day 2 (Saturday, April 2nd at 8 a.m.) at C.K. Choi Building (poster presentation) and Geography building (oral presentation)
- 24th PURC Package is here
Below is our general schedule:
- Day 1 (April 1st): Friday 4.00 pm – 8:45 pm (Dinner: 6.00 pm onwards)
- Day 2 (April 2nd): Saturday 8.30 am – 7.00 pm (Lunch: 1:30 – 2:00 pm)
Our mission is to provide a professional environment for undergraduate researchers to showcase their work, gain experience in presenting at conferences, and contribute to the scientific community. We strongly encourage all undergraduate researchers who have spearheaded any form of psychology research during the 2021-2022 academic year to apply to present at this conference, as it not only is an invaluable opportunity for the presenter, but the contribution of presenters is also crucial in making this event a truly enriching experience.
The event will include a special keynote speaker, a showcase of undergraduate students’ research, professors, the UBC community, and refreshments to keep the energy going.
The special keynote speaker is Dr. Soma Kiran (he/him)!
- Dr. Soma is a Professor at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada and a member of the Psychology Department and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health. Dr. Soma joined the faculty at UBC in 2004. He received his BA from Stanford University, his Ph.D. from the University of Washington, and his postdoctoral training at UCLA. He has published over 125 papers on neural circuits, hormones, behaviour, and immune function, and these papers have received over 8000 citations. He has received major grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, US National Institutes of Health, Canada Foundation for Innovation, BC Knowledge Development Fund, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, and Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research. He is a recipient of a Killam Faculty Research Prize, Cattell Fund Fellowship, CIHR New Investigator Award, and MSFHR Scholar Award. In recognition of his research contributions, he was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- For this year’s keynote, he will be talking about steroid regulation of the brain and behaviour.
Traditionally, the presentation registration fees have been used to cater for the event. This year, we will continue our tradition of supporting local restaurants, this year we will be ordering food from Tayybeh! Tayybeh’s mission is to continue to empower newcomer women and offer opportunities for employment, financial independence and social integration by offering and highlighting their delicious and authentic local food. Given the impact of the proposed rezoning project combined with the struggles COVID has posed on this relatively new and family-owned business, the PSA is thrilled to be supporting this local business by ordering the catered food from the PURC registration fees to Tayybeh!
- Thursday, February 9th at 12.00 pm – Applications opened
- Thursday, March 10th at 11:59 pm – Deadline to submit the application
- Monday, March 14th at 11.59 pm – Deadline to pay registration fee via our Showpass link or during PSA in-person office hours
- Thursday, March 30th at 12.00 pm – The 24th Annual Psychology Undergraduate Research Conference package will be available here
Registration fee (presenters only):
- $5 for PSA members
- $15 for non-PSA members
(Please make sure to pay the registration fees by the deadline via our ShowPass link or during PSA in-person office hours)
Application links & Questions
- Qualtrics Application Form
- ShowPass (to pay the application fee)
All queries should be directed to email@example.com
Please note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we have a limited capacity. Therefore, we have a limited number of poster presentations that we can accept. We apologize for this inconvenience.